Sunday, June 7, 2009

Simple Things are Hard (Part II)

I don’t like the line of reasoning I started to develop in the last post. I don’t like it because of its general applicability. Really, although I can not retire, I am in a better financial situation than most of my peers. I bow my head and thank God for his generosity in this matter. However, those of you who know me could point out that:

Food In = Fat Stored + Exercise

Could I be in denial about the connection between the country fried steak smothered in sausage gravy I plan to eat at the Cracker Barrel restaurant this morning and the shape of my body? Could the shape of my body have something to do with the condition of my heart? Although not always so, often when we are in denial, we are in denial about sin. In this case one of the seven deadly sins, gluttony. In the case of financial problems, if there is a root in sin, it would likely be found in avarice or envy, again two of the seven deadly sins. Avarice in the hearts of bankers and the managers of insurance giants like AIG has severely damaged the economy of the entire world. Envy in the heart of the American consumer who coveted his neighbor’s house, his neighbor’s SUV, his neighbor’s plasma television, and all things that pertaineth unto his neighbor, led him step by sinful step into bankruptcy. Again, let me state that sin is not always the root problem. I feel nothing but compassion for that poor man who is going to lose his house because he tried to do right by his employees while suffering from cancer.

It occurred to me that there are groups of people who have considerable experience dealing with denial and sin. Twelve step programs have significant success dealing with substance abuse and, yes, even debt. Thanks to Wikipedia for the following list.
1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.
5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.
6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.
10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His Will for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
While the above list is specific to Alcoholics Anonymous and contains some details I would change such as, “God as we understand him,” and “powerless,” I think the principles are sound and useful to consider and apply to problem areas in our own lives.

I know I need a savior. I don't even meet my own standards, nor am I convinced by my own excuses. I believe that God's standards are considerably higher than my standards. I need grace. I want God to be a part of my life. I want his advice and counsel in the important decisions I make in my life. In order to clear away the fog of denial and allow God a free hand in my problem areas, I certainly need to continuously make a moral inventory. This is not always easy. I would rather pretend that I just don’t know why things happen or blame them on the sinfulness of another rather than confront my own shortcomings or sinfulness.

I have a couple of friends who are sufficiently close and trustworthy to act as my “father confessor.” Getting honest with my self, my God, and my authentic brothers has always been a part of Christianity. Asking for forgiveness, confessing one’s selfishness and sinfulness, and trying to make things right is difficult but of enormous value. If you don’t believe me, just asked anyone who has been married for more than a year about the importance of confession, repentance, and forgiveness.

Finally, what good is any of this if it ends with us? Is not our purpose in this valley of tears to care for, counsel, support, and encourage those whom God places in our path? Are we not all tasked to become wise and to share that wisdom with others? As I realize my purpose, my life will become more meaningful, and I will find healing in my mind, body, soul, and spirit.

Amen.

Matthew 20

[30] And, behold, two blind men sitting by the way side, when they heard that Jesus passed by, cried out, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou Son of David.
[31] And the multitude rebuked them, because they should hold their peace: but they cried the more, saying, Have mercy on us, O Lord, thou Son of David.
[32] And Jesus stood still, and called them, and said, What will ye that I shall do unto you?
[33] They say unto him, Lord, that our eyes may be opened.
[34] So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to this message. I have often thought to myself some of the same things that you wrote.

    ReplyDelete