Sunday, July 17, 2011

Just Do It!

Last week while on vacation, I read most of a scholarly volume on the wisdom books of the Bible written by Robert Alter. For the first time I noticed something in Chapter 11 of Ecclesiastes that I overlooked in my previous readings. These verses are frequently quoted by Christian personal finance authors (including yours truly) as a scriptural instruction on diversification.

1 Ship your grain across the sea;
after many days you may receive a return.
2 Invest in seven ventures, yes, in eight;
you do not know what disaster may come upon the land.

A pretty obvious and easy to understand insight from Solomon, the richest and wisest of Israel’s kings.

But I have never heard mention of a later passage from the same chapter.

4 Whoever watches the wind will not plant; whoever looks at the clouds will not reap.

5 As you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things.

6 Sow your seed in the morning, and at evening let your hands not be idle,for you do not know which will succeed, whether this or that, or whether both will do equally well.

Lately, I haven’t done much other than continue my usual contribution to the government equivalent of a 401K. I have been planning several possible moves, but I thought the market seemed a little high. I was watching the wind and the clouds. I was waiting for the perfect moment to plant my crop instead of sewing and reaping in the appropriate season, while trusting the Lord for the increase. So, taking some instruction from the master, I pulled the trigger on two moves this weekend. On Monday, during regular business hours, I will find out how to pull the trigger on a third move I have been contemplating for several quarters, cashing out an old unproductive Roth IRA. Some of those funds will go into some bathroom and kitchen renovations. I have some ideas what I might do with any left over money, but that’s enough activity for a Sunday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment