Saturday, August 20, 2011

Get Up And Finish The Race

“Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.”

Chariots of Fire is one of my favorite movies. It tells the story of two British athletes Harold Abrahams, an English Jew who ultimately goes on to great success and recognition in this world and Eric Liddell, an intensely devout Christian who eventually goes to the mission field in China and martyrdom.

In one scene Liddell is intentionally tripped during a race. He falls, gets back up, and with superhuman effort runs down the cheater who tripped him, and wins the race. Liddell immediately collapses in a state of hyper-exhaustion gasping for air. Sam Mussabini, the hardened old trainer who would take Abrahams to a gold medal in Paris, runs to the aid of the stricken Liddell. Helping Liddell’s trainer, Mussabini observes, “You take good care of this lad of yours, Mr. McGraff because if you drop him, you’ll never find another one like this.” Then looking at the fallen runner he adds, “It’s not the prettiest quarter I ever seen Mr. Liddell, but it is certainly the bravest.”

In the last few years a lot of us have been tripped up by life. Sometimes it was done, as in this scene, with malice and forethought. Sometimes it was our own fault. Sometimes we have just been victims of forces far beyond our control. Whatever the cause, we are exhorted by scripture to get up and finish the race. I am not a very optimistic person. Typically, I plan expecting things will go wrong. I am the kind of guy whose contingency plans have contingency plans. It is hard for me to write motivational prose, but it is something I need to hear even more than I need to share. If you, if I, want to be the kind of person others will remember we must get up and finish the race. Then perhaps, at your funeral people will say, “There will never be another one like _____.” Even more importantly, we may hear Someone rather more important than our friends say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

2nd Timothy Chapter 4

[6] For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
[7] I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
[8] Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

No comments:

Post a Comment