Sunday, May 6, 2012

Horses and Chariots of Fire

You’re not helpless and you’re not alone. If you don’t like something, do something to change it. I am not talking politics. Ultimately no organization, political or commercial exists to promote your interests. I am talking about doing something with and for your family, friends, neighbors and yourself.

If you don’t like the big four banks, don’t do business with them. There are plenty of credit unions and local banks that still exist. As readers of this blog know, I love my credit union.

My cousin dislikes processed food so he grows, buys, and promotes organic locally produced foodstuffs.

I know several people who dislike and distrust what Charles Hugh Smith terms our sickcare industry. They take control of their own health with alternative healthcare providers, like naturopaths and chiropractors.

My particular causes:

I hate what debt slavery is doing to my neighbor, so I teach them how to get out of debt.

I fear for the future of my generation (the baby boom) because they have done such a wretched job preparing for retirement, so I teach them the basics of investment and how to live on a budget.

There is more.

I don’t do such a good job in some areas of my life, like diet and exercise. Is there somebody in my neighborhood or church that would be willing to guide me into some reasonably convenient, affordable changes to my diet?

In some pretty desperate third world countries they have things like burial societies and savings clubs. Just ordinary people join together in cooperative organizations that provide an insurance service to protect the members from expenses like funerals, which can run up to ½ a year’s wages in some societies. The society owns a small cemetery. The members pay both a subscription fee and provide sweat equity, like digging graves for their friends and neighbors. The savings clubs act like a communal emergency fund. If a member is faced with an overwhelming problem, the rest of the membership votes how much to give to solve that problem and under what terms the loan should be repaid.

Years ago I suggested an investment club for my church. Its primary purpose would have been an opportunity to learn. Members could come together, share research and jointly come together and make an investment decision. Cost of membership would have been set low enough that anyone could participate, say $20.00 a month. Profits, if any could be shared with the church. I still think that is a good idea.

What if a group of broke friends (for the sake of this argument 10 couples), started a savings club for their emergencies? What if each member contributed only two dollars a day, less than a pack of cigarettes or the proverbial cup of Starbucks coffee? In one year, without any interest that would be $14,600, a pretty decent start to an emergency fund.

All that is required is that one person decides that enough is enough, turns around, takes his brother by the hand, opens his mouth and says, “I care and I will help.”

2nd Kings 6:

15 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?

16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

18 And when they came down to him, Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said, Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And he smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.

1 comment:

  1. Are saving clubs regulated in any of the states, as far as you know?

    ReplyDelete