Saturday, August 24, 2013

You Have Been So Good

I have to confess, gratitude is not my strong suit. I tend to view the world as a somewhat indifferent and sometimes hostile environment. I spend a lot of time trying to be vigilant. I try and keep my swords and my ax sharp, ready for battle. This morning while drinking my coffee I had a little realization of the goodness of God. At least for the moment I am grateful.

I can give thanks for many things. I am living in a big brand new retirement home. It is much larger and nicer than anything I imagined (at least as an adult) that I would ever own. I was able to pay cash for this new house even though I have not yet sold my old home.

God has been good to me.

In many ways I have moved home. We still have friends in the Greenville, SC area; friends who have been friends for more the forty years. Some of them have been better friends to me than I have been to them. My wife still has family in the area. Our new neighbors seem like they are going to be nice people.

God has been good to me.

I have a wife who has stood by me for over 38 years. How many men can make that claim?

God has been good to me.

I was able to retire at 62 because I wanted to retire, not because health issues or downsizing forced me into retirement. I have been retired for almost exactly seven months. I have really enjoyed the freedom to go and come as I please and dabble in whatever appeals to me at the moment.

God has been good to me.

Of course I have my aches, pains, and limitations but I am really in remarkably good health for a man of my age.

God has been good to me.

It is a beautiful sunny morning in the foothills of South Carolina. The world is green. The air is fresh. I already have an alumni library card at Furman University. Now I must return to unpacking dozens of boxes that are still stacked around our beautiful new home.

God has been good to me.

While I was testing my computer after unpacking and reassembling it, I found and played a song I saved in my music folder. It was emailed to me by the beautiful Christian woman who helped to direct me into this financial ministry. I hope you enjoy it.

You Have Been So Good

No comments:

Post a Comment