Thursday, April 27, 2017

Qui Cum Canibus Concumbunt Cum Pulicibus Surgent

In attempting to help others find their own path to financial freedom, I was surprised to learn just how important the company you keep is to the outcome of your life. Are the people in your life inspiring you, encouraging you, pushing you in a better direction or are they holding you down, keeping you trapped in a place where they are comfortable?

Walking the Swamp Rabbit Trail I have met a lot of people, who like me, are attempting to become a healthier person through regular exercise. These three examples all happened in just the last couple of weeks. I was cheered on by three members of the Furman women’s track team. A man in his late twenties with a body of chiseled steel told me that he found my presence on the trail in all kinds of weather an inspiration. A middle aged woman training for a half marathon slowed down long enough to get to know me better and encourage to keep fighting the good fight.

There are times when I am inclined to believe that anything moving slower than me is probably a rock, but even this old man with his arthritic knees has had the opportunity to encourage other retirees who are just starting an exercise program or are walking to recover from surgery or some kind of physical malady.

Any time you make a serious effort to better your life, some of your companions will become uncomfortable. They will tell you all the reasons you shouldn’t try and all the reasons your efforts will surely fail. The truth is they don’t want you succeed, because if you do, they will feel inferior.

When I first became serious about investing for retirement, a number of people told me the game was rigged against the little guy. They told me I would lose all my money. The fact is they were unwilling to make the effort to learn how to transform their above average salaries into an above average net worth. Some of these people slowly faded out of my life. Over time I met coworkers who knew more than I knew about the stock market and I started reading books by the masters. I began to share what I was learning with others. The more experienced encouraged me while trying to steer me away from potential mistakes. Eventually, I found that some folks were seeking out my counsel in an attempt to get far enough up the learning curve to feel comfortable taking some calculated risks with their money.

Like losing weight, increasing net worth is hard work. I have lost about 40 pounds over the last four years, but that required a lot of hours spent hoofing it up and down the Swamp Rabbit Trail. The stretch run to retirement took me about 10 years of concentrated, focused effort, but in that time I increased my liquid (excluding my house) net worth by something in the neighborhood of 700%. During that time I was slammed by the crash of 2008, just like everyone else. The fact is that in good times and especially in bad times, I need the support, encouragement, and yes, even the occasional kick in the pants from others to keep on keeping on.

Look at the people in your life. If you need someone to help you move up, I firmly believe in the old Chinese adage, “When the student is ready, the teacher shall appear.” Then your hard work can become smart work. It won’t happen automatically, but a chance encounter here and there with the right person at the right time led me to a better life. I am nothing special. If it worked for me, it can work for you.

P.S. In this post I have focused on positive possibilities that can change your life for the better, but remember:
"He that lieth down with dogs shall rise up with fleas"
Source unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment