Sunday, July 26, 2009

I will not let you go until you bless me.

Hard to believe but six months have come and gone since I presented the Silver Eagle challenge at Derwood. Today is officially the end of the second experiment, but I hope that it is just the beginning. The participant in the first experiment is still keeping her notebook for financial insights and answers to her prayers. It is now time to ask ourselves two questions:

1)Have you remained more or less faithful to commitment you made in January to pray and write?
2)Are you better off than you were six months ago?

On my end of the agreement, I have been fairly faithful to pray for the participants on a regular, though not always daily basis. I know I missed some days, but not too many. To paraphrase the song, you were often on my mind. I have studied the financial news and a selection of reputable blogs on a daily basis except during my beach vacation. During that time I tried to study the economic implications of what was going on around me. You have seen everything I have written in the Silver Eagle Experiment blog.

Am I better off than I was six months ago? Yes. The rising market has significantly lifted the value of my self directed fund, although not yet to its pre-collapse level. I am still about 8% below November 1, 2007. I have continued to add to my credit union savings. That number is significantly higher than it was in November 2007. Finally my TSP account (The Federal equivalent of a 401K) is just about back to where it was before the crash. Of course I have been adding 14% of my pretax income to this account on an ongoing basis and Uncle has been adding his 5% matching money. At my age, the loss of more than a year hurts but it serves as proof that consistent investment, plus time, plus compound interest can overcome many obstacles. I have been blessed. I realize that I am not all that smart. I thank God that He has seen fit to place his hand of protection upon me during this crisis. Do I know more about money than I did six months ago? Absolutely. Reading enough to come up with subjects for my blog entries greatly expanded the width of my knowledge. However, it did not increase the depth of my knowledge quite as much as I would have hoped. Maybe that will be something for me to work on during the next six months. Perhaps I should try and read the Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham. Warren Buffet, the great sage of Omaha, describes it as, “by far the best book on investing ever written."

In the last week, I have heard progress reports from 2 of the 13 Derwood participants. They have both been good reports. I would encourage all of you to share your stories with me. I am absolutely convinced that the Silver Eagle method works. God has promised to share his wisdom with you, whoever you may be. He is no respecter of persons. If you persistently pursue God’s wisdom over an extended period of time in any problem area of your life, I believe you will find deliverance. Writing a daily journal is important for several reasons.

1)It forces you to study enough to have something to write about.
2)It forces you to pray about what you have learned, teaching you how to hear from God.
3)Writing focuses the mind.
4)Writing creates a permanent written record of your interactions with the Lord. As with the first participant in the Silver Eagle Experiment, this journal can become a faith building record of answered prayers.

If saying to the Lord, “I will not let you go until you bless me,” works for a scoundrel like Jacob, it will work for you, with or without a Silver Eagle.

Genesis 32

[24] And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.
[25] And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.
[26] And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.
[27] And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.
[28] And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.
[29] And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.

No comments:

Post a Comment