Friday, January 28, 2011

Information Overload

I am convinced that as a culture and as individuals we suffer from information overload. In fact this blog is part of the problem. The cell phones that are so convenient, allowing us to connect to anyone in our world, at any time, are also electronic leashes that enslave us. Business email is the ultimate in dump and run management. Once I have sent you an email, my problem is solved. I even have a record of when and what order was given. That you misunderstood my request or did not have the resources to implement the order is not my problem.

Over the last year, I have only been adding to my existing investment positions through dividend reinvestment programs for individual stocks or payroll contributions to my retirement account. In part, I have not been purchasing stock in other companies because I have read too many conflicting reports on too many opportunities.

The problem is so acute that high priced resorts are offering “unplugged” vacation packages. No wi-fi, no cell phones, no TV. The Quincy Hotel in Washington, DC includes a $25.00 Barnes and Noble gift certificate in such a package. Read a book? Do they still make those things?

This week I turned a three night business trip into a somewhat unplugged experience. When at the hotel, I never turned on the television. I limited my use of the cell phone to conversations with my wife. My use of the Internet was minimal, mostly an attempt to determine how to minimize the effect of the snow storm on my trip home. Instead I read Karen Armstrong’s latest, “Twelve Steps to a Compassionate Life.” I was even blessed with the opportunity to meet a close friend who lives in that area for dinner. A couple of hours of fellowship, time spent in a hot tub, and reflecting on ways to become a better human being definitely improved the quality of my life. When I found myself drifting, I just went to sleep. Wonderful.

From time to time, just turn it off, if only for a few hours. The world will still be there when you return.

No comments:

Post a Comment